Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bike ride - Day 4

Breathtaking scenery and heart breaking hill climbs against the wind. A long 49 mile ride to Cantwell.

I woke up to clear skies and perfect view of Denali from our camp site.

Matt planning to ride farther than I was a broke camp about about half an hour before I did. I really like this shirt, but it turned out to be a better for hiking than biking. I've started to get a little bit of sunburn and the shirt isn't quite long enough when leaning forward on the bike...

The view from the road.

My chain jumbled the rear sprocket and wedged itself in when I down shifted for this hill. I had to the break the chain to get the wheel off before I could fix it... Thankfully it was a nice day and it happened near a stream so I could wash my hands after an hour working in the chain grime.

Back on the road again. 

Halfway to Fairbanks! This trick using the yak as a stand was one of the things Matt told me about. 


Denali kept poking up behind the other mountains throughout the day as I rode. This is the best picture since the first one I took in the morning. 

I didn't realize it until I was at the summit but the high point between Anchorage and Fairbanks is actually a few miles before Cantwell. Between the long hill climbs, the head wind, and the broken chain, what I thought would be a pretty easy 50 mile day turned out to be the most difficult so far. On the bright side Corrie decided to drive down from Fairbanks to camp and visit me and she brought me an enormous burger from Healy. Also I found a campground with a shower! It was almost enough to get all the grease off of my fingers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment