I spent many evenings and a few weekends during the extended fall upgrading the insulation on the house with my sister Liz.
|The house was built in 1972.|
An inch of poorly installed fiberglass (R-3 at best) was considered good enough for below grade walls then...
|While we had access to the block we sealed all the joints and painted it with concrete sealant.|
|I also filled the joint between the framed wall and the plate on top the block with foam.|
|We had to adjust the layout of the heating pipe to make room for more insulation.|
- Thanks Dad.
|I insulated the top plate as well as the face of the wall.|
|2" of R Max insulation is R-13. It also seals the wall much better than fiberglass. I taped all the joints and spray foamed any visible gaps.|
|Blowing in cellulose in the rain is several kinds of fun.|
|There was insulation flowing up that hose.|
We now have R-45+ in the attic instead of R-15.
|The first time it got below 20 degrees my new frost plug heater started to leak and a frost plug heater that leaks when it's cold is a bit of a problem...|
It took two late nights, but I got it fixed.
|The finished basement wall is noticeably warmer to the touch.|
|On the night before it snowed I used some scraps to build a rack under the shed rafters.|
I still have a couple more rooms to insulate and a new boiler to install. I'm hoping all the improvements will cut the heating bill by 50-75% this winter.